Kyrgios out of Sydney after positive COVID test

Tennis

Nick Kyrgios appears in doubt for the Australian Open after pulling out of the Sydney Tennis Classic with COVID-19, his second tournament withdrawal in the space of a week.

Kyrgios was scheduled to play Italian firebrand Fabio Fognini on Monday night but his withdrawal was announced via the tournament entry list.

The 26-year-old previously withdrew from the Melbourne Summer Set with asthma and if he does feature at the Australian Open, will do so without playing competitively since September.

Posting to his Instagram on Monday evening, Kyrgios said in the interest of being “transparent”, the reason for his withdrawal was that he’d tested positive to COVID.

“Hey everyone, I just want to be open and transparent with everyone, the reason I have had to pull out of Sydney is because I’ve tested positive for COVID. I am feeling healthy at the moment with no symptoms,” he said.

…more to come.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Lakers starting Nunn, Jones with Big 3 in camp
Nash on Simmons: ‘Don’t care’ if he never shoots
Yankees’ Judge hits 61st homer, ties Maris’ record
Canada drops vax mandate for athletes, visitors
Leafs captain Tavares to miss beginning of season

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.